Certified Passive House Consultant Training
The PHIUS Passive House Consultant's Training program is geared to North America's unique climatic, building code, and materials challenges. Learn to implement Passive House principles in residential, commercial, and retrofit scenarios.
The program's main components:
- Principles of Passive House Design - Heat Transfer, Air-tightness, Super-insulation, Ventilation and Moisture Control
- Instruction in the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP), a powerful and precise energy modeling software
- Minimizing Mechanical Systems (Energy Recovery Ventilation)
- Passive House Construction Examples
- Passive House Materials Selection
- Quality Assurance
The full training period is nine days, typically in one five-day and another four-day segment.
- To become certified, students must take and pass an exam administered on the last afternoon of training.
- The exam consists of a computer-based component administered at the training site, plus a take-home design exercise.
- Students who have completed the training can opt to take or re-take exams at the completion of later training sessions. The exam will also offered independently of training sessions (2012 dates TBD).
The program assumes a base knowledge in building science commensurate with architectural training, hands-on building experience, or similar background.